Thursday, November 20, 2008

Diskettes

When I was young, I would get very excited when my mother would take me to work with her or if we had to fetch her from work. Me and my siblings can get to use the computers they had at work. The floppy disks used back then were the 5 1/4 – inch ones. Each disk would have a single game. I loved the one with the Family Feud game.

I have gone through the different types of storage devices through games. The 3 ½ disk, and then, the oh so shiny, CDs. I was very amazed with the interactive educational CDs. There were more colors, the pictures were less pixilated and there are more than one game inside that CD! Now, diskettes are seldom used. Raised eyebrows will meet you whenever you buy them in computer shops. It IS the cheapest and the most hassle-free device to use in submitting requirements to anyone who doesn’t have internet access. You don’t have to burn the file on to your disk and you don’t have to wait for it to return. Although the diskette is usually subject to file corruption, we still make do.

No comments: